Monday, November 8, 2010

About: From One Home to Another...

Well, y'all...
today is a bitter-sweet day for us...

After a very full weekend from wedding to Barberville, we came home... intending to rest up.
I was awakened this morning by my mother, "Get up, Emily... no more sleeping." She had a look of extreme duress on her face... that worried me.
"Mom?...Mom?" I could feel my pulse quicken as she just stood there looking at me with anguish in her eyes.
Anna and I followed her to her room where she broke the news to us.

Poppop died this morning.
I knew it was coming... Poppop has been very, very sick and was in hospice care for about a week. We went to visit him twice last week... on Monday and Wednesday. We took our instruments the second day and got to play quite a bit for him. (I'm crying.)

Poppop was always so supportive in everything we do! He loved our music, but could never make it to any performances because in the later years of his life, he couldn't travel extensively. So we brought performances to him. He would puff up with pride every time we played for him... I'm a proud guitarist now because of the influence he and my father have had in my life!

He was very musical (in fact, he and Mimae met in church choir 58 years ago!) He played the guitar and he and Mimae sang together like two love-birds all the time! Their harmonies were beautiful... oh how sad I am to never hear his voice again...




7 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Amanda Kaylon Bogle said...

I understand. My great-grandmother, who had been living with us, passed away October 13th after a heart-breaking season of cancer and dementia. The last time we visited her in the hospital, the night before she died, we quoted scripture and sang a hymn to her, but she was too miserable and too confused to understand what was going on. In one sense, it is harder this way, because we hadn't been able to have any quality time with "Grandma" for several weeks, because of her dementia. In another sense, though, it made it easier because she was in such constant agony (mental and physical) that we truly could not wish her back.
We had known that she was "dying", but had believed that it was still a matter of months. Two of my great-grandmother's children - one of whom had not seen her in years - had, sadly, postponed coming to visit her from out of state, and had planned to arrive the very next weekend. Your family and mine, despite our sense of loss, still have much to be grateful for, just for getting to see our grandparents often in their last years and days. Life is but a vapor, even after eighty-some years.
I will be praying for your family as you go through this season.

Mandy

Anonymous said...

Emily, That is so sweet that you guys took your music to him. I'm sure you ministered to his soul. You are so blessed to have had the influence of a godly grandfather as well as parents. Praying for you and your family.
Debbie

Shannon said...

I will definately be praying for you and your family. It is though so sweet to know that we will meet with loved ones again because of the blessed hope that we have in Christ.

Blessings,
~Shannon~

Brittany said...

I'm so sorry Emily. Your grandpa sounds like a wonderful man. I will be praying for you and all of your family. (hugs) ♥

Zach said...

I'm so sorry, Emily. As other have said already, I bet your grandpa was a great, loving man.

Isn't it wonderful to know that the Christian HOPE in Christ is REAL... that this temporal life is not the only place you will see your grandpa; but in heaven, we will all be united with our loved ones who have gone before us, in worshipping the One who is worthy of it all.

I am praying for you and your family now,

In Christ,

~ Z

Laura {{* *}} said...

Your beautiful faces he saw
your beautiful music he heard
as he went toward that
beautiful shore.

His life poured into yours.
What a precious gift.
Carry it gently.

I love you.

{{* *}}